Smash Lits with Sara Crowley
Read Shane Inman’s nonfiction piece, Landsgemeinde, Appenzell
1) How do you organise your bookshelves?
Hardcovers on the bottom, paperbacks on top, everything else by vibe.
2) What is your favourite cheese?
A brutally sharp cheddar or the kind of bleu that could send someone into shock.
3) What was your favourite book as a child?
Probably Philip Pullman’s The Golden Compass. Hugely influential for my thinking and writing.
4) What is your default pub drink?
I am unfortunately one of those guys who likes a strong IPA.
5) What colour is rejection?
Winter-colored, I think. But I’m a winter person so I don’t mind.
6) Do you have a favourite pen?
My grandmother gave me a very slim A.T. Cross pen when I was about 15 or 16 and it’s been my go-to “fancy pen” ever since.
7) Do you believe human beings can spontaneously combust?
No, but I’ll keep trying regardless.
8) How much money did you spend yesterday?
$0 is always my goal and I think I successfully stuck to it.
9) How do you stop procrastinating and get on with writing?
If I ever find out you’ll be the first to know.
10) Do you have a recurring dream?
I have semi-frequent stage anxiety dreams, though I haven’t acted for years.
11) Did you have an invisible friend when you were younger?
Not in the traditional sense, but my brothers and I invented many invisible enemies.
12) Do you have any writing rituals?
If I get really stuck I set everything aside and stare at the ceiling for an hour or so. This generally accomplishes nothing.
13) What’s your favourite swear?
Fuck. No contest.
14) Who is your favourite TV detective?
Has to be Idris Elba’s Luther. What a beautiful wreck.
15) What is the last thing you Googled?
Full face respirator. Bleak.
16) What was your first gig?
Writing for my college newspaper—a job I performed quite badly.
17) Favourite word(s)?
Anything (inter)stellar. Apogee, aphelion, Andromeda, ionosphere.
18) Recommend something to me.
Kristen Radtke’s Imagine Wanting Only This. One of my all-time favorite memoirs.
19) What question should I have asked you?
Any especially memorable clown-related experiences?
20) Write me a question for the next Smash Lits interview I do.
What, to you, is the most beautiful building in the world?