Smash Lits with Sara Crowley
Read Cheryl Pappas’ nonfiction piece, The World I Will Not Taste
1) How do you take your coffee?
Almond milk and cream, no sugar.
2) What was the last text you sent?
On my way!
3) What is/was your nickname?
4) What is the oldest piece of clothing in your wardrobe?
A turquoise sweater poncho from the 1950s, knitted by my Irish great-grandmother.
5) How do you stop procrastinating and get on with writing?
It helps that I have only two hours in the early morning to write. If I waste some time, I waste it. Then I get to work.
6) Have you ever seen a ghost?
No, but I might have seen evidence of one, because things keep falling off shelves in our house (which was built in 1922).
7) Who is your writer crush?
I take it you mean whose writing do I crush on? Jeannette Winterson. If you mean who’s the writer I crush on, I’ll never, ever tell.
8) What’s your favourite sweet?
Dark chocolate with cherries.
9) Favourite-all-time-forever-never-let-you-down song?
“I Ran (So Far Away)” by A Flock Of Seagulls.
10) What was your favourite book as a child?
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I blame growing up Catholic for that one.
11) Write me a question for the next Smash Lits interview I do.
What’s your favourite tree?
12) Who is your favourite TV detective?
Columbo, of course!
13) What’s your favourite swear?
14) What cocktail would you make me?
Lillet Rouge with a slice of orange.
15) What word or words make you cringe?
In a marketing context, “join us,” “explore,” and “enjoy.”
16) Recommend me a book?
The novella Duo by Colette. Her observations about people in love are astonishingly precise.
17) Have you ever read someone else’s diary?
I came across my mom’s note to herself once. It was a list of her goals (learn photography, get a better job). She was amazing.
18) How do you organise your bookshelves?
19) What two emoji smashed together best encapsulate you?
20) What question should I have asked you?
What painting would you like to step into?