Smash Lits with Sara Crowley
Read Jasmine Sawers’ fiction piece, Leviathan
1) What is your favourite cheese?
Fresh mozz or goat cheese
2) What was the last text you sent?
“Why are people offended by this”
3) Who is your favourite Sesame Street character?
I straight up don’t remember enough about Sesame Street to answer this.
4) Bacon VS Tofu—who wins? Why?
It’s gotta be bacon for the sheer dopamine hit.
5) What makes the wind blow?
Fat bottomed girls?
6) How much money did you spend yesterday?
Too much on one (1) bubble tea. Oh and a $50 refill of my dog’s nerve meds.
7) Did you have an invisible friend when you were younger?
8) Do you have any recurring dreams?
I have falling or jumping dreams a lot.
9) What sandwiches would you make for a picnic with Kazuo Ishiguro?
First, I’d bake my own really great gluten-free bread because I’m not feeding this man something sub-par, nor am I compromising my own immune system just for his taste buds. Then, I’d carve some white and dark meat from a freshly roasted turkey complete with skin, and yeah I’m sprinkling that shit with fish sauce. Slap some salami and fresh mozz on there, mayo on the bread, maybe a nice chutney because he’s British. Serve with kettle chips.
10) What’s your favourite swear?
11) What’s your favourite fairy tale?
Copping out with three I can’t decide between: The Snow Queen, which I remixed into a very Buffalo, very Thai American apocalyptic future story over at Uncharted. A Thai fairy tale called Sung Thong, The Golden Conch Shell. My flash from the mother’s perspective appears at AAWW’s The Margins. The Steadfast Tin Soldier, for which I have written an extremely trans piece of flash in response to what I view as its extremely trans subtext. Still trying to place this one.
12) Assuming ghosts don’t currently exist, if I gave you the power to do so, would you will them into reality? (Question from previous interviewee Sam Asher.)
That’s a big assumption I don’t think you can make. I think if you can take “ghost” to have a more expansive meaning, say, for example, something more like “haunting,” they certainly already exist. I think land has a long memory.
13) What was your first concert?
Tina Turner. I assume my parents couldn’t find a babysitter. The well-oiled and scantily-clad sax man from the opening scene of Lost Boys was there.
14) If you had to have one animal live in your freezer, would you be hoping for polar bears?
Turns out tortoises can actually live in your fridge if they’re hibernating so if there’s an Ant/arctic version of them who could survive the freezer, that’s who I’d want.
15) Write me a question for the next Smash List interview I do
Which careers did the alternate universe version of you pursue instead of what you’re doing now?
16) What word or words make you cringe?
“Pregnant,” but worse are the shortenings like “preggers,” “preggo,” ughhh.
Being called “lady.” Or “Chica.”
17) What is your phone screensaver?
My spouse at my friend’s wedding. Why not at our wedding? Because my friend’s wedding photographer was weirdly obsessed and took about a zillion pictures of just him. He was like, “she’s following me,” and we were all like, “nah she’s just making sure to get everyone.” We got the pictures back and nope. It might as well be an album of bride, groom, and Ben. It was totally bizarre. Anyway she got some great shots of him, so.
18) You are wallpaper. What is your pattern?
Gnomes, sasquatches, mushrooms, leaves, and ferns. The gnomes and the sasquatches are in love.
19) Mermaid, dinosaur or unicorn?
Well I’m nonbinary so I’m going to say both dinosaur and unicorn
20) What question should I have asked you?
What teas have you been enjoying lately?