Smash Lits with Sara Crowley
Read Jennifer Todhunter’s fiction piece, The Levitation
1) What is your favourite cheese?
2) Bacon VS Tofu—who wins? Why?
Bacon-wrapped tofu. They’re both winners in my book.
3) What colour is Thursday?
Sort of a see-through/shimmery colour, like everything in the Night on Earth documentary.
4) You have to swap places with one other writer for a week. Who and why?
Alice Munro because she’s a short story master and because Munro’s Books is in my hometown.
5) Do you believe human beings can levitate?
I believe human beings want to believe they can levitate.
6) Buffy or Veronica Mars?
7) What’s your favourite thing from childhood that you’ve still got?
Fossils I found in the clay banks outside the pub my parents owned. A snail, in particular.
8) How do you stop procrastinating and get on with writing?
Insomnia and sporadic workshops.
9) Do you have any recurring dreams?
When I was a kid, I dreamed about my house burning down while I watched from the driveway a lot. I remember knowing what was coming and not being able to wake up, which was the worst.
10) What’s your favourite sweet?
I’m down with any peanut butter/chocolate combo. A friend told me he ate peanut butter + nutella today and that sounded like the best. I might actually try that now.
11) Do you have a fave meme? What?
I don’t, I’m sorry. I’m a pop culture idiot.
12) Did you have an invisible friend when you were younger?
His name was Casey. He lived next door which apparently confused our neighbour.
13) What did you do last Saturday night?
It was mellow. There was a bonfire and sweet tunes, so the best kind of mellow. Best kind of night, really.
14) Who is your writer crush?
Currently, Bonnie Jo Campbell and Samantha Irby. I can’t pick one, their work kills me in different ways.
15) What are your windows like?
Dirty and wide-open.
16) What sandwiches would you make for a picnic with Jenny Offill?
I’m more of a soup person, and I feel like Jenny Offill might be too? I’d bring tortilla soup with all the toppings: tortillas, avocado, sriracha, cojita, cilantro, lime. The soup would be spicy enough to make the insides of your eardrums itch and would leave you wanting more. Speaking of wanting more, peanut butter + nutella = heaven on a spoon.
17) What question should I have asked you?
Late nights or early mornings? (Both.)
18) What’s your favourite swear?
I love a good fuck.
19) What word or words make you cringe?
I have three cringe-worthy words, I recently told my kids what they were, they won’t stop saying them, so you’d better believe I’m not telling the interwebz.
20) Write me a question for the next Smash List interview I do.
Favourite-all-time-forever-never-let-you-down song? (Blind Love by Tom Waits)