Smash Lits with Sara Crowley
Read Carly Berg’s fiction piece, Flight of the Garage Men
1) What was the last text you sent?
“No, you started it, mofo.”
2) Who is your favourite Sesame Street character?
Cookie Monster. Om nom nom nom.
3) Bacon VS Tofu—who wins? Why?
Bacon, because bacon always wins.
4) Your writing is music, what style is it?
5) Do you believe human beings can spontaneously combust?
Definitely. They can blast off too, if you make them mad enough.
6) What’s your most vivid childhood memory?
I remember this one time when a fruit bat bounced off my head but I’m not sure if it really happened or not.
7) Do you have a garage? What do you do in it?
No. But if I did, I’d probably have to guard it against roving, smelly neighbor men.
8) What sandwiches would you make for a picnic with George Saunders?
Peanut butter. I heard he likes those.
9) What’s your favourite swear?
Thundercunt! Oops, did I type that out loud?
10) What word or words make you cringe?
Moist, cloaca, turgid and MAGA.
11) Who is your favourite TV detective?
Magnum PI (because he was great on Friends).
12) Write me a question for the next Smash List interview I do.
Hmm… Maybe you could ask them their feelings about the thought police, if they ever worry that someone is hiding in their chimney or if they’ve ever sat here for the present.
13) What was the last gift you gave to someone?
Homemade Covid-19 masks, unfortunately.
14) What was your first concert?
Lynyrd Skynyrd or The Rolling Stones, I’m not sure. It was the seventies, man.
15) Favourite-all-time-forever-never-let-you-down song?
“Tennessee Whiskey” by Chris Stapleton or Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, “You Really Got a Hold on Me.” And now I’m really showing my age…
16) Have you ever had a nickname?
My sweet baboo calls me “Princess Tardy” but I don’t have any idea why.
17) Do you have a favourite pen?
Nah, I don’t do that because I lose things.
18) Do you have any recurring dreams?
19) What question should I have asked you?
Well, you could have asked me what my recurring dreams were about. But that’s okay, you did just fine.
20) What is your default pub drink?
Anything from a swim-up bar will do!