Smash Lits with Sara Crowley
Read Emma Alice Johnson’s fiction piece, Biking with Kaiju
1) What is your favourite cheese?
I’m from Wisconsin. They’re all my favorite.
2) What would your superhero power be?
The ability to travel through time and space via dancing.
3) What was the last text you sent?
Oh gosh I don’t know if grindcore is a good idea for me right now but thanks for inviting me!
4) Is Mothra really your favourite Kaiju? If not, who is?
5) Bacon vs Tofu—who wins? Why?
Tofu is the best for the conspiracy theories alone, but it’s also super versatile. Bacon is just bacon.
6) Do you have any phobias?
Not any actual phobias but I have a long list of things to avoid that includes rollercoasters and having people throw knives at me.
7) Do you believe human beings can spontaneously combust?
Sure, that seems like a neat thing to believe, so I’m in!
8) How do you stop procrastinating and get on with writing?
I write because I enjoy doing it. I’m very protective against anything that would take the fun out of it or make it job-like. I work at my own pace and on my own timeline, writing where and when I want to. With that approach, procrastination isn’t really a thing.
9) What is your favourite sweet (candy)?
Caramel Apple Cow Tales from Goetze’s Candy Company. They’re not super popular, but I love them. I’m also into licorice and candies that have a spicy/sweet thing happening and oh gosh I eat a lot of candy.
10) Have you ever seen a ghost?
I’ve never seen one, but I’ve heard a couple. They’re very bossy.
11) What did you do last Saturday night?
Shopping with friends. I got a bunch of makeup and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic books.
12) Who is your writer crush?
Magdalene Visaggio. I met her randomly and briefly at a local comic shop a few years back when she was signing the first issue of Kim & Kim. I’m not one to obsess over an author, but I’ve read everything she’s released since then and it’s all so smart. Also, I feel like her books were written just for me, what I’ve wanted to read since I was a kid, and it’s such a lovely feeling. Her understanding of writing for the comics medium vs. just writing scripts is so on point and rare. I could go on and on. What I’m saying is she’s brilliant. She’s gorgeous too, but that’s beside the point.
13) What sandwiches would you make for a picnic with Donna Tartt?
I really only make peanut butter sandwiches, but maybe I’d go wild and smear some honey on it too.
14) What is your favourite swear?
15) Mermaid, dinosaur or unicorn?
This is unfair and you know it. But if my back is to the wall, I’ll go with dinosaurs. I literally have a pile of dinosaurs in front of me right now, and I’m 5 to 10 feet from the nearest mermaid or unicorn, so I’m letting proximity answer for me. Also dinosaurs are rad.
16) Write me a question for the next Smash Lits interview I do.
What’s the best way to dispose of a piece of writing you’re not happy with?
17) What is the last thing you Googled?
Juan Canary Melon.
18) Who is your favourite TV detective?
Olivia Benson, duh.
19) What is your favourite smell?
I just lost 90 percent of my sense of smell, though I’m told it might come back. Anyway, not smelling stuff is absurd. I want to smell lilacs right now.
20) What question should I have asked you?
Do you harbor a grudge against the giant robot bugs that attacked you beneath the streets of Berlin?