Smash Lits with Sara Crowley
Read Rose Andersen’s nonfiction piece, Dating Profile
1) What is your favourite biscuit?
A just warmed chocolate chip cookie. (I am assuming that biscuit in this case is what us silly Americans call a cookie)
2) What was the last text you sent?
“Beautiful! Love love love”
3) Who is your favourite Sesame Street character?
Oscar the Grouch. I think I liked that he was so openly, well, grouchy.
4) Bacon VS Tofu—who wins? Why?
This feels like a turtle and the hare kind of scenario and that I should say tofu but I just can’t see bacon losing out. Mainly, because I think tofu is horrid.
5) Your writing is music, what style is it?
Instrumental and terribly sad.
6) What is the oldest piece of clothing in your wardrobe?
A ratty NOFX shirt I was given when I was eleven.
7) What’s your worst habit?
Self-doubt or biting my nails.
8) You’re stuck in a lift with a writer of your choice—who?
Jonathan Carroll, so I could ask him about talking dogs and other magical things.
9) What is your favourite swear?
10) Mermaid, dinosaur or unicorn?
Dinosaur. 100%. (I could literally eat mermaids and unicorns for breakfast.)
11) Who is your favourite TV detective?
This one is hard because I watch an unhealthy amount of crime TV. Veronica Mars is up there. But I’ve recently become obsessed with Eve Polastri on Killing Eve.
12) What word (or words) makes you cringe?
Flaccid. Bulbous. Mrs.
13) Do you actually like cottage cheese and fruit at breakfast? (It sounds like punishment food to me.)
I do, actually. I add a bit of brown sugar and I mainly put fresh berries in it, if that makes it sound more appetizing!
14) Who is/was your unlikely crush?
Casper the friendly ghost. Totally had the hots for him when I was about ten.
15) How do you know when you’ve reached the end?
When I can’t feel anything anymore.
16) What is your favourite smell?
My husband’s neck. Aren’t I disgusting?
17) What is the last thing you googled?
“How to sleep with sciatic pain.” Sexy, I know.
18) Have you ever had your fortune told? Has it come true?
I have several encounters with psychics that have been eerily on point. For a few years now, I have been looking into the suspicious circumstances around my sister’s death and a psychic told me a couple things that were eventually revealed to be true.
19) What’s the best flash you’ve read recently?
A MOVIE THE NEIGHBORS COULD WATCH BY ERICA PEPLIN, published on Jellyfish Review. I love how visual this piece is.
20) Give me a question for the next Smash Lits interview I do.
“What does love look like to you?”